What’s the difference between joint sealing & gapping?
July 29, 2016
I have cracks in my concrete walls, what do I do?
July 29, 2016
Show all

What’s the difference between water proofing & wet sealing?

Absolutely nothing! The name says it all really: waterproofing is proofing a particular structure so that water does not penetrate through.  Wet sealing is sealing the structure so water cannot penetrate through.  They are one & the same.  It is a liquid membrane that is applied to a surface.

What can I waterproof?

You can waterproof just about anything that needs protecting from water coming in or leaking out.  The list is endless!  Basements, Planter Boxes, Terraces, Bathrooms, Toilets, Laundry, Kitchens etc…

Kitchens, rooftops, planter boxes, retaining walls and bathrooms that are constantly exposed to water is where waterproofing is required by using a 3 coat system of either a water based or a solvent based membrane, this will enable these areas to have a complete seal.

The first coat, being a primer which will bond to the dry and stable substrate.  After drying, a bead of poly urethane sealant is pumped around all perimeters of the area to allow movement to wall and floor joints. A second coat of membrane which will bond to the primed surface area will give you the first full layer of waterproofing.

The third coat is applied over the second and this is the finish coat, after 48hours the waterproofed area can commence tiling.

My basement is leaking, what do I do?

Basements are constructed below ground level and are therefore subject to ground water pressure. If there is insufficient external drainage or a failure in waterproofing, water ingress will result.

To secure basements, the best strategy is to ensure the water does not penetrate the building. The walls of the basement can be secured by applying a liquid membrane. Then to protect the membrane, install a suitable barrier prior to backfilling. Essential to the defence strategy is good drainage.  The final consideration in basement construction is to allow sufficient ventilation.

What is ‘negative side’ waterproofing?

Existing walls which have moisture or water penetrating internally, require treatment from the ‘negative side’. The two most common strategies is to either treat the brick, block, mortar with a crystalline growth treatment to stop the water, or to form a new barrier on the surface. Both methods are valid, but results will vary by situation.